Our eBook Collections from Ebsco, JSTOR, ProQuest Ebook Central and Business Expert Press extend the library's colllection of books in print. These collections are only available to members of the Southwestern Adventist University community. Use your portal account. for access off campus. A few websites offer free access to some ebooks.
Downloading Ebsco eBooks
Depending on the device you intend to download an ebook onto, you will need to install one of the following applications:
- Laptops: Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader
- Nook: Adobe Digital Editions
- iPad/iPhone/Android Devices: Bluefire Reader
Once you have installed the application, follow these steps to download an ebook.
- Find an ebook that you want to download.
- Click on "Download (Offline)" under the book title you want to download.
- Follow the prompt to sign in with your EBSCOhost account or create one.
- Click on "Checkout & Download" button on the pop-up window.
The following are detailed instructions for the one-time setup of your device:
iPad, iPhone and Android Devices
- Create an Adobe Online ID.
- Download the Bluefire Reader app to your iPad/iPhone/Android.
- Open the Bluefire Reader app on your iPad/iPhone/Android.
- Follow the prompt to authorize Bluefire Reader with your Adobe Online ID.
- A Bluefire Reader prompt will appear when you download an ebook.
- Download Adobe Digital Editions onto your computer.
- Create an Adobe Online ID when prompted.
- eBooks downloaded will be available on Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- You will be able to drag and drop ebooks onto your Nook when you connect it to your computer.
Free eBooks Online
- Google Books
- Out of copyright books are made freely available and those that require a fee can be located at a nearby library by clicking on a 'library search' link.
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- Similar to Google Books, this site provides access to the digital repository of library books scanned by Google.
- International Children's Digital Library
- Children's books from around the world in a variety of languages including historical and contemporary titles.
- Internet Archive
- Wide range of fiction, popular works, children's books, historical texts and academic titles.
- LibriVox (Audio Books)
- Digital audio recordings of books in the public domain. Files available by chapter.
- Open Library
- Large book catalog with many public domain titles available to read online.
- Project Gutenberg
- Over 27,000 free ebooks, including many literature classics.